Frequently asked questions:
How can my business benefit from this program?
What Incentives & Rebates are available?
Is On-Bill Financing available through SDG&E for program measures?
My unit is ten years old. Should I repair or replace it?
As a building owner or manager, you know the value of improved energy efficiency. High summer energy bills affect everyone's bottom line and inefficient or aging cooling systems can be very costly to operate and maintain. By joining the statewide initiative to reduce the environmental impacts of existing commercial buildings, you are doing your part to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserve precious resources. By installing equipment that meets tomorrow's efficiency standards today, you will begin to benefit immediately by the improved cooling performance of your system. Maintaining your equipment to ANSI/ASHRAE/ACCA standards keeps it running efficiently over time, adding to your building's comfort and air quality. Going green is good business.
The Premium Efficiency Cooling Program offers incentives to SDG&E commercial customers for the installation and maintenance of commercial HVAC equipment and systems. The program also offers Commercial Customers and HVAC equipment Distributors rebates on select high-efficiency and industry specific HVAC equipment.
Installing new high-efficiency equipment in coordination with optimizing and maintaining existing HVAC equipment is a great way to recognize HVAC performance potential while extending its useful life. Premium Efficiency Cooling Program Customers can recognize benefits like reduced energy usage and costs, extended life of equipment, and improved comfort.
The Program offers:
- HVAC Tune-Up Incentives – Work with one of our licensed Participating Contractors to perform an “at no cost” one-time inspection and optimization of your HVAC Systems.
- HVAC Three-Year Maintenance Incentives – Receive incentives to enter into a long-term maintenance agreement with your Participating Contractor. Maintenance incentives are paid over the life of the maintenance contract (typically three years).
- HVAC Equipment Rebates – Rebates are available for the purchase and installation of specific high-efficiency HVAC equipment.
- Distributor & Manufacturer Rebates –Rebates are available to commercial HVAC distributors and manufactures for the sale of high-efficiency HVAC equipment.
- Lodging & Hospitality Rebates – Rebates are available specifically to hospitality and lodging commercial customers for the installation of high-efficiency PTACs, PTHPs, and system controller upgrades.
Take the next step toward more efficient equipment, energy savings, and improved comfort!
Call 888.369.1608, or visit the Reservation Page to see if your project qualifies.
The San Diego Gas & Electric® On-Bill Financing Program (OBF) requires that measures meet specific payback requirements. See SDG&E for details. The Energy Savings Calculators evaluate the Simple Payback for the additional cost of upgrading from standard efficiency to premium efficiency equipment. However, OBF looks at the full cost of installation including equipment, labor and taxes. Most HVAC units will not qualify for OBF for this reason, but hotel PTAC/HP controllers have much shorter payback periods and may qualify. To apply, download the OBF application at SDG&E.
Much depends on how much you run your air conditioning unit. This depends on the type of business, climate and building construction, as well as hours of operation. Use the Energy Savings Calculator to determine your return on investment for purchasing a new unit. As a rule of thumb, if the ROI is higher than you would earn by putting your funds in a Certificate of Deposit or bank account, your business would do well to consider replacement. The alternative is to tune-up your ten-year old AC unit to optimize its efficiency at the level it was intended to perform.