Choosing a Contractor
Choosing an HVAC installation or maintenance contractor can be a difficult and expensive undertaking. Many contractors offer different levels of service at different rates. How can you be assured that your system has been properly installed and maintained? All Premium Efficiency Cooling Program Installation and Maintenance Contractors must meet stringent licensing and insurance requirements and must undergo initial and continuous program specific training.
Choosing a qualified HVAC contractor is just as important as choosing energy efficient equipment. You need quality installation and maintenance to make sure your equipment operates efficiently, reliably and safely. Here are some important factors to consider when selecting a qualified contractor:
- Work with one of the Premium Efficiency Cooling Program's participating contractors. Program contractors are familiar with the importance of energy efficiency, reliability, comfort and air quality. Program tune-up service providers meet rigorous experience, skill and training requirements to provide maintenance services that meet or exceed industry standards.
- Hire only California C20 licensed contractors, and contact the Contractors State License Board, CSLB, at 1-800-321-CSLB or at www.cslb.ca.gov to confirm your contractor's license status.
- Insist on receiving a detailed, written estimate for repair work, equipment replacement, and preventative maintenance service agreements. Ask for a sample report and references.
- Expect a complete report of any work performed, conditions found, and recommended repairs.
- To get the best quality and value for your investment in your cooling system maintenance services, choose your contractors based on experience, level and frequency of service, and coverage. Low initial price is not a reliable indicator of quality of service.